Sunday, June 21, 2009

"Never Been Rolled"

After many turns on the "Injury & Burnout Carousel" (coming to a fair near you, if you're not careful), I'm finally healthy and running OK again. Today's run was a long one from our place off "Rainbow Road" to South Eugene and up Dillard to Ridgeline -- and back. It's a solid loop because it (A) includes four different trail networks and (B) provides a liberal dose hills.

By the time I crawl up the hill and hammer back down, I'm usually rolling pretty good. Today was no exception, and with a couple miles to go, I was definitely in the "Bring It Home" gear when I approached a trio of guys ahead on the Pre's trail. They looked fit but were clearly taking it easy.


As I passed, I turned and said "Hi" (my new habit with everyone I pass on the trail), to see that I recognized one of the guys that I knew from the Midwest. Turns out I had inadvertently rolled up on some of the
local talent, clearly on an easy run leading up to The Big Meet.

We chatted a bit and I mentioned the new gig and what we're up to; specifically how
Eugene PT is one of few practices to provide free public outreach -- be it through free injury screenings, phone calls, or e-mails -- to provide initial or on-going consultation, regardless of whether or not they're "paying customers". I'm very passionate about this, which is one of many reasons why I'm here.

I was happy to hear that these gentlemen -- unlike
many people our age (elite athletes and non-, alike) -- actually have good health insurance. As we jogged along I was told they have access to diagnostic testing for various injuries that is (gasp!) actually reimbursed by insurance!

He then added,
"Yeah, I've had several MRIs in the past year, which has helped save me from more serious injury".

About this time I'd reached my turn; I bid the guys farewell and good luck for next week.

*****

As I picked it up towards home, I mulled over that last comment: several MRIs. A great luxury, indeed, but an pricey one. Then I realized there was one more thing I wish I'd mentioned to the guys, so I'll mention it here:

An MRI may indicate which structure is injured and causing pain
, but no scan -- nor magic wand, pill or elixir -- will tell you why it is injured.

As Physical Therapists, that's our job:
to find out why it's injured, and to fix the cause.


For example, shin pain might be due to a training error or old shoes.
Or, could it be:
  • abnormal foot mobility
  • insufficient hip internal rotation
  • a functional leg length difference
  • referred pain from the low back (neurological), or
  • hitting it repeatedly with a hammer*
It's our job to find out why, to fix the cause, and to provide you the tools to be sure it doesn't happen again; and if not that, then empower you to fix yourself if it does happen again.

And the sad fact is, if you don't figure out the cause, the pain is doomed to continue or return, no matter how many scans, pills, or rests you take. This has become painfully obvious with my own injuries...and it is what drew me to this profession.


That
diagnostic sleuthing and conquering those roadblocks is what makes going to work each day so fun and rewarding. And, in my humble opinion, that quality of work is what separates Eugene PT from the rest.

(*PTs can also provide therapeutic massage, when indicated!)